This was the 12th time HBLF Business World for the Environment Awards have been handed over – the professional jury announced winners in five categories recognising companies that performed outstandingly well in environment protection and sustainability.
Coca‑Cola HBC Hungary won the category of management, MOL Co. that of product, Hamburger Hungária that of processes, Water&Soil Ltd. that of international business cooperation and Shell Hungary Co. that of business life and sustainable education in the HBLF Business World for the Environment 2019 Award competition.
“We are very happy that we had the chance to present our sustainability strategy and what we have achieved in environment protection in the HBLF “Business World for the Environment” competition. Sustainability and corporate responsibility are indispensable components of the business model of Coca‑Cola HBC Hungary and its corporate culture. At the core of our approach is our commitment to long-term business success and value creation while acting in line with our CSR policy and our basic values. Our sustainability goals are fully aligned with our business goals and overall strategy and they focus on the people who make the sustainable development of Coca‑Cola HBC possible. We are very proud and honoured by this prestigious recognition” – said Orsolya Nyilas, External Communication Lead at Coca‑Cola HBC Hungary.
On behalf of the jury, awards were handed over by Borbála Czakó, President of HBLF and Prof. Dr. Gyula Bándi, professor at the Pázmány Péter Catholic University and Deputy Ombudsman for Future Generations.
Winners implemented conservation projects in the last few years which may well have been the part of an extended project as long as results could be demonstrated for the distinctive phase.
Applications could be submitted in the following categories:
- Management: a company which can constantly improve its results in terms of sustainable development due to a prominent mission and vision of the future.
- Product: the development of a product or service which significantly contributes to sustainable development.
- Processes: Development of manufacturing technologies while fully complying with sustainability criteria.
- International business cooperation: Business cooperation with companies, civil organisations or scientists in developing countries to enhance sustainable development, technology transfer, environment protection, the development of products and services, or to improve working conditions.
- Business life and sustainable education: a special award goes to the company which put a high emphasis on sustainable education and awareness raising while developing solutions in any of the categories mentioned above.
"Packaging waste is a topic of strategic importance for Coca‑Cola HBC Hungary: it gives rise to a number of interrelated problems that affect our core business processes and need to be solved urgently. Proper packaging is necessary for our products to remain fresh and to comply with food safety regulations. However, packaging materials, especially those made of plastic, have a long-term impact on the environment and thus urge actors in the economy and the society to find new ways to mitigate the negative consequences. We are aware that we have still a lot to do. We want to be part of the solution, not just be the problem, and bring about changes. Our approach to sustainability and our goals had been laid down systematically in our World Without Waste program announced at the beginning of 2018” – Orsolya Nyilas added.